[FoRK] Poverty In America: A Special Report

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sun Sep 18 19:53:13 PDT 2011

Bill Humphries wrote on 9/18/2011 2:46 PM:

> On Sep 18, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Reza B'Far (Oracle) wrote:
>
>> The waste, IMHO, comes from fundamental inefficiencies in the market system that are otherwise great in other areas, but are not compatible with providing the best health-care to as many people as possible.  I'm not saying I have an answer, but it kind of doesn't matter since the "wastes" in the extra exams, people that don't pay their fair share, etc. are far surpassed by supply chain wastes such as unbundling of services between payers and providers.
>
> In your experience, does a tightly integrated provider system such as Kaiser Permamente do a better job?

That's exactly the advantage, and their business model.

A huge part, if not majority of costs are due to billing and bloat.
First doctors need to hire several extra staff to deal with the large-N
number of insurance companies, each with different submission and
payment systems, and by that I mean systems for NOT paying the doctor.
Then there are the huge fees that need to payed to the CEOs of the
insurance companies for yachts and planes, then all their staff,
lawyers, etc. Then you have staff on your company, to deal with getting
your employees insured, since that's a constant battle on that end too.

If you think the reason American medicine costs so much is the doctors,
you're wildly mistaken.

And in my wife's experience, Kaiser is very good. They won't take me
tho, which is the other part of their business model :( You'll notice
they only operate in the healthiest states, in the healthiest cities.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/