[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving couldbecounter productive

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 05:41:33 PDT 2011

Stoppable.  In some jurisdictions it's not an offense for which they can
stop you as the primary justification.  Here in Maryland they can't stop you
for just the phone.  There has to be something else amiss.  And the few cops
I spoke with didn't find it a great idea to have to use other traffic laws
like 'reckless driving' as the primary reason.  While that covers quite a
lot, the penalties for it are steep.  The sentiment I gathered was they'd
prefer to avoid being that heavy-handed about it.

So no, "it isn't".  It should be.