[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving couldbecounter productive

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Mon Sep 19 13:58:01 PDT 2011

> No real ban on phone use, just a mode of use which is annoying anyway.
> That so many people resist headsets (including my kids) is strange to me.

I went through 4 rounds and two replacements for my iphone4 and finally
just gave up on using a headset.

> The only working memory needed for driving is navigation, which is
> nearly always safely recoverable.

For people's driving tests, they should be forced to play a really large
map on bf2/3, unreal3, l4d2 and be judged on their 3d spatial awareness
and acuity.  Those who get lost or can't figure out quickly where they
are and how to efficiently move from one place to the next should FAIL.

Greg