[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving couldbecounter productive

Lawnun lawnun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:05:43 PDT 2011

> The only working memory needed for driving is navigation, which is
>> nearly always safely recoverable.
>>

> For people's driving tests, they should be forced to play a really large
> map on bf2/3, unreal3, l4d2 and be judged on their 3d spatial awareness and
> acuity.  Those who get lost or can't figure out quickly where they are and
> how to efficiently move from one place to the next should FAIL.

Unless you're a cabbie in a major metropolitan city, I fail to see how one
test (spatial memory) bears out to another (driving
awareness/attention/skill).  You don't need to have a fantastic mental map
of your current geographic locale in order to drive well.  Only the ability
to pay attention and maintain control over a moving vehicle.  I have a
pretty shit memory for maps, but I'm a fairly safe driver.

Or rather, is your goal simply  to get (most) women off the road with a
pointless measure of one aspect of driving?

Carey