[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving couldbecounter productive

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 19 14:07:07 PDT 2011

> On 9/19/2011 1:41 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> No real ban on phone use, just a mode of use which is annoying anyway.
>> That so many people resist headsets (including my kids) is strange to me.
>
> I went through 4 rounds and two replacements for my iphone4 and finally just gave up on using a headset.

Plantronics Pro+.  While my Pro+ with Android seems to sometimes glitch and give bad audio where my old Pro + Palm Pre never did,
overall it still seems like the best headset going.  Lasts forever, has very good audio, and good noise canceling.  I actually think
the Pro+ I have is defective on noise canceling also: With the Pro, people couldn't tell where I was as there was virtually no
background audio that got through.

Many headsets are junk however.

For many years, I used wired headsets in the car.  Other than physical tethering, it solves any battery/static issues.  The best is
"The Boom".  Supposedly designed for Wall Street traders with screamers right next to them.  They advertise it being used in a
convertible with the top down.  I found it while trying to get good audio in a supercomputing center, with 10's of thousands of
fans, many drives, and 4 giant water pumps running.  Not to mention the freaky liquid cooling on the Cray XT.

>> The only working memory needed for driving is navigation, which is
>> nearly always safely recoverable.
>>

> For people's driving tests, they should be forced to play a really large map on bf2/3, unreal3, l4d2 and be judged on their 3d
> spatial awareness and acuity.  Those who get lost or can't figure out quickly where they are and how to efficiently move from one
> place to the next should FAIL.

How about a driving game modeled on their actual city?