[FoRK] Fear of Repression Spurs Scholars and Activists to Build Alternate Internets

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Sep 21 20:34:09 PDT 2011

On Wed Sep 21 07:06:02 2011, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

>> Freedom boxes are owned and operated by end users.
>
> The scenario they gave was some professor working for a university was upset they wanted to read his university email. I'm
> assuming they meant he'd stop using email and use whatever communication tools that were on the freedom network.

Some community colleges, at least, and many companies are going to the
commercial cloud for their email and other infrastructure.  If I'm
using a Gmail account, is that company owned?  (No.)  Even if it is
paid for by the company, is it company owned in the sense that they can
raid it?  (Maybe, but not as clearly so.)

Anyway, I run my own box.  Anyone (not statutorially protected) getting
into that box is going to be in for some computer invasion charges.
And since everyone can pretty much afford their own virtual boxes now
($30 or less for a virtual host now or soon), that's potentially more
scalable.  Or maybe a virtual host that you lease isn't yours?

Anyway, why wouldn't someone just use their smart phone and maybe a
bluetooth keyboard these days?  Own the device, own the Internet
connection, use a public/commercial/personally owned/leased resource.
Not to mention that work email is arguably usable for personal use a
certain percentage of the time, just as personal phone calls
traditionally were.