[FoRK] Poverty In America: A Special Report

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Thu Sep 22 04:48:04 PDT 2011

> Then you have staff on your company, to deal with getting your
> employees insured, since that's a constant battle on that end too.

In the swiss system, everyone who lives (not "has a decent job",
lives) in the country has to be insured.  This means insurance
companies can't cherry-pick very easily, but it also means they can
charge market rates to everyone (and the confederation provides for
hardship cases with tax deductions/credits/transfer payments for
their premiums).  The standardized chipped insurance cards imply the
payment side is also nicely automated, but I don't have enough
experience with that to comment.

-Dave