[FoRK] Take a step back...

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 26 10:47:41 PDT 2011

On Mon Sep 26 10:38:09 2011, Daniel Grisinger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Russell Turpin
> <russell.turpin at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> But I'm curious what there are other salient examples there are of
>> "consumer technology regression."
>>

> Video displays were transitioning to 1920x1200 resolution 5 years ago, but
> that has completely halted as 1920x1080 "high" definition has become the top
> resolution available at normal consumer levels.  On a recent trip to Best
> Buy I checked and found that they don't even stock any displays in the
> 17-23" range that can do 1920x1200.  Economies of scale in the production of
> 1920x1080 panels is the culprit.

I agree!  Buy a 30" 2560x1600 monitor while you can, and hope that you
can still get hardware to drive it (dual link DVI).  I believe HP's 30"
monitors are still the best and most reasonable price.  Best color
gamut plus 3 inputs with built-in switching.

I still have an old Dell laptop with a resolution of 1920x1600 I think.

However, Apple MacBook Pro 17 laptops have a resolution of 1920x1200
and their 27" monitors have a resolution of 2560x1440.  They no longer
show their old 30" monitors on the website and probably aren't selling
them.

sdw