[FoRK] Take a step back...

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Mon Sep 26 11:15:23 PDT 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> I agree!  Buy a 30" 2560x1600 monitor while you can, and hope that you can still get hardware to drive it (dual link DVI).  I believe HP's 30" monitors are still the best and most reasonable price.  Best color gamut plus 3 inputs with built-in switching.

+1 on the HP 30", the entire engineering team uses them at work. Very nice. The vertical pixels are useful, though not for showing wide-screen movies.

This does touch on a general annoyance of mine. It used to be that high-end gear, like big monitors or expensive audio systems, were targeted at professional users and there was a continuum of product features and quality. Now virtually everything is designed for showing movies to Joe Suburbia to the exclusion of being a well-engineered solution for anything else.

For many kinds of electronics, the whole "pro-sumer" segment is disappearing. The problem is that the really cheap consumer-only stuff does not have even the most basic professional features and the remaining professional level gear is outrageously expensive and over-engineered for the typical need. I guess that market is not big enough to justify the investment.

J. Andrew Rogers