[FoRK] Take a step back...

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 26 12:09:09 PDT 2011

On 9/25/11 9:56 PM, Joe Reneker wrote:
> The audio quality of telephone calls has decreased. You don't see
> commercials like this anymore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnlqrMWVYCs

The sad thing is that this is completely artificial.  We have sensors, CPU, codecs, and bandwidth to be far, far better than the
traditional 8Khz audio.  As evidenced by Skype (when it's working well).

I occasionally wonder if the cell companies are tuning the parameters on audio codecs to skimp on bandwidth.  I've toyed with audio
codecs enough to think that a lot of distortion I hear is from low bandwidth.

sdw