[FoRK] Take a step back...

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Tue Sep 27 10:00:15 PDT 2011

Your question led me to capture general trends in acoustic instrument
quality over the past century:

http://blog.nexcerpt.com/2011/09/27/piano-quality/

In short:

"The finest pianos in the world were built about a hundred years ago.
Due to evolution in engineering, exhaustion of raw materials, and
flagging business standards, we will never see their like again. Some
people may build very good pianos; new forms of the instrument may
exceed (in narrow ways) the magnificent machines built a few decades
either side of the year 1900. But, from a musical perspective, there
will never be a “better” piano than the typical concert grand of a
century ago."

I end with the conclusion that a very good Steinway, built OVER A
CENTURY AGO, may represent the pinnacle of this still evolving industry:
"No /better/ acoustic piano will ever be built, at any time, ever again."

GS