[FoRK] [IRR] RMS on SPJ

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Oct 7 08:18:31 PDT 2011

That's the company's fault or the fault of the manufacturing unions who
demand a 20 year contract on a hardware component that has a market
half-life/end of life of 3-5 years, a lifetime pension for every worker
just for walking in the door, and a tax on all earnings so that the
leadership can use it on political crusades often against the very
things that the unions are trying to protect for the workers.

That'd take their whole lineup of expensive products and price them
right out of the market.

Which is the more rational choice?

BTW, with the modern high tech components, quality control is driving
manufacturing back to the US.  High failure rates, low manufacturing
tolerances, and contamination are all major quality issues in Chinese
manufactured electronics.

For instance, everyone knows the Solyndra story and how they were out
manufactured by Chinese goods, but the shipping of the actual, highly
fragile components was causing major problems.   There's a company I
know that builds highly specific, mid-sized wind generators--kind of
like the ones you see in Palm Springs.   In order to be on the right
side of the cost curve, they have to build extremely refined components
with extremely low tolerances for errors and manufacturing defects.
They can't build them in China or anywhere else in the world.  Their
core IP is the manufacturing process.  Their distribution and
manufacturing is local (or as close to the customer site as possible).

So it's innovation and quality that's going to be bring manufacturing
jobs back (lowercase J, though zombie steve jobs has been posting a lot
these past couple days).

Greg