[FoRK] [IRR] RMS on SPJ

mdw at martinwills.com mdw at martinwills.com
Fri Oct 7 10:15:58 PDT 2011

> The key is innovation, quality, and concentrating on how to build
> things efficiently.  One major key to that is automation.  Whether CNC,
> 3D printers, or robotics in general, you have to leverage labor to the
> point that even the cost of efficient shipping is a barrier of entry
> and competition.

I have no argument with this assertion, I even agree with it. The problem
you refuse to consider is: "How do we do this to employ persons who can
then turn around and buy these products?"  It's great to create something,
but if no one can buy it, what is the point?  Right now nearly 1 in 4 US
citizens are receiving entitlements (YEAH LIKE THEY ARE ENTITLED TO TAX
PAYERS MONEY). We have at least 16% (I don't believe the 9.1% the
government says) unemployment and we are building new things with robots.
It doesn't matter how cheap you go, if a person can't earn a living, you
are left without a market.  Maybe robots can be considered a person and we
can start selling to them?

Finally, I recently read (I want to think it was Allan Wolfe) stated that
the typical democracy lasts 200-250 years.  Once the voters learn they can
write checks from the coffers (e.g. my earlier 'entitlement' remark) they
eventually bankrupt the democracy and chaos erupts.  Right now this US
capitalistic democracy is around 261 years old.  I believe we are on
borrowed time...

Regards.