[FoRK] The Devils must be Crazy

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Fri Oct 7 11:26:58 PDT 2011

On 10/7/11 11:54 AM, Bill Kearney wrote:
> Golly gee, someone exaggerating analogies trying to support their lame
> argument.  Saaaaaaaave us!
Exaggerating?  That Westboro Baptist are dogmatic?  Or that they're
fundamentalist?

When ~HAS~ "Ignore them and they'll go away" been a success against
their kind?  Examples, please.

> Followed closely by not actually doing anything in person to rectify
> the problem.  Thanks for that.
"Doing something "in person" would entail... what, exactly?  A counter
protest wherever Westboro Baptists appears?  You're already in a huff
that I even ~noticed~ them.

Short of proposing that I assassinate Phelps or some of his followers,
what sort of "actually doing anything" would you suggest?

I typically point out bullying when I observe it -- whether I'm in the
same room, or a thousand miles away.  I've spoken to strangers on the
street about outrageous treatment of others; corrected peers in public
meetings about insinuating threats; written letters to the editor
chiding officials who abuse their position; contributed time and money
to causes that protect innocent children and animals from violence; and
confronted people -- including some carrying firearms -- over direct
actions they meant to threaten others' security.

Now and then, I blog about misuse of speech, money, and other forms of
power that diminish people who do not deserve such treatment.  If you'd
like me to step it up, make a suggestion.

I'd love to hear your "actually doing" suggestions that also adhere to
your rule of not noticing -- or not letting them know they were noticed?
-- or whatever form of secrecy you seek. Maybe... I should just... pray
against them?

> Sadly there's no much room for "lolz" there.
That one's easy:  I'm not laughing at ~my~ position -- I'm laughing at
~yours~.
GS