[FoRK] [IRR] RMS on SPJ

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 7 15:51:34 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 10/7/11, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

>   Is Apple a hardware company with a hobby in software, or a software
> company with a hobby in hardware?  I think Apple is primarily a hardware
> company, and licensing OS-X goes against their plans.

Neither. They are a system company. The hardware and software are inseparable in order to produce the desired user experience. See a couple of earlier posts about starting with the design of the desired total product and then building the pieces tightly integrated to produce it.

As those referenced articles also pointed out, you require control of all the pieces to ensure you provide the desired experience and also so some undisciplined schmuck can't bugger it up by introducing foreign elements into it.

Proof by comparison: I'm no fan of Apple's walled garden but compare that to the total hash Google has made of Android by refusing to exert any control at all. In its current forked, fragmented and fucked up state it will never be a serious competitor to Apple's controlled/coherent/consistent ecosystem.

         ...ken...