[FoRK] [IRR] RMS on SPJ

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 8 00:45:01 PDT 2011

Isn't your last statement pretty much in agreement with 2?
Being controversial doesn't mean that it's wrong a lot of the time.  Depends on the situation, but the most interesting things in
the past and yet to be invented (or invented things yet to be brought to market) are exactly item 2 below.  Sometimes people don't
even recognize their pain or recognize that it could be addressed.  In other cases, they do.  Not to mention well-known ideas (among
the cognoscenti) from scifi etc. that most people will be surprised by.

> I truly believe in the chasm model of adoption.[1]  Truly break through products work their way across the chasm.  It takes
> someone with vision to see how things could be better or different.   Once you've crossed the chasm, then customers can be right
> as they drive adoption.  Before then, it takes someone to show them what's possible.
Earlier:
> I think number 2. is extremely contraversial.   There's an article from August that says, this time around, bet he opposite of Jobs.
>
> http://www.readwriteweb.com/start/2011/08/4-things-entrepreneurs-should.php
>

> On 10/7/2011 12:46 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> 2. "It's not the consumer's job to know what they want," that's YOUR job.
> 3. Control the buying/service experience as much as possible.
> 4. Design for Americans, in America.

> Greg
>
> [1] http://www.smcubedconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Moore_Diagram_01.jpg
>
> On 10/7/2011 3:34 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
>> Interesting.  I probably misunderstood how he used "swarming", but the
>> YouTube/PayPal examples seem to be simple cases of identifying an unmet need
>> in a new community, and introducing a successful service.
>>
>> To design and sell a mass-produced good, you need the audacity to tell
>> customers what they want.  I think modern Americans don't like to think
>> that way, engineers especially.  Saying it aggressively is theraputic. :)
>>
>> PayPal, YouTube and every other product out there had to start with a
>> workable design, build it, test it and deploy it before they got a single
>> squeak of customer feedback.
>>
>> I'm not saying that Apple's approach is good for a startup.  It's good for
>> Apple, and I think that anyone shipping hard product should learn what they
>> can from it.
>>
>> I think the malleability of web-products makes it far too easy to frob and
>> fiddle rather than just getting the damn thing done and out.
>>
>> See also: toy aisle, 5-year-old in,
>>    Aaron

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer