[FoRK] Wall Street Isn't Winning – It's Cheating

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Thu Oct 27 17:07:57 PDT 2011

Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote on 10/27/2011 1:28 PM:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jbkSRLYSojo
>
> Rosling's Gapminder on the story of wealth and health in the past 200
> years.  Somehow relevant to the arguments being made today.

The OWS issues all lead back to the same thing - the game is rigged.
People don't mind losing a game so much as long as it's fair.

Rosling is brilliant in his presentations, I've seen several of them.

The closing line is half wrong tho. Wealth is a zero sum game, but
health is not. Everyone can be healthy with minor effort, but not
everyone can be wealthy since luck and stupidity instantly concentrate
and strip wealth. Ex: a poor person wins the lotto, and be back to poor
a few months later every single time. Sure the averages are rising, but
that's meaningless.

Nowhere is this clearer then California, where we're surrounded by rich
people with deeply negative wealth living in vast McMansions one
paycheck away from being homeless. It's... bizarre.

On another note, thank geeks for the web, otherwise noone would know
about the marine that is now in a coma thanks to the Oakland cops, who
apparently can't tell the truth even after all the video. If things go
sour and Scott Olsen goes martyr, all hell is gonna be unleashed in
Oakland and elsewhere, ala Mohamed Bouazizi. Looks like he's now in fair
condition (surgery ahead), and the 1% is safe another day - but maybe
not another week. He may go iconic anyway from the looks of things, and
they are planning a march on the US embasy in Tahrir.

So much for it being different this time :( It's going down textbook,
and I'm reasonably sure we're past the point of no return now.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/