[FoRK] [FoSDW] The Myth of Prodigy and Why it Matters

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Oct 30 11:23:36 PDT 2011

I have many times successfully suggested the future to management at
companies who then ignored my creative forecasting.  In some cases,
I've actually created the future and still not been able to convince
management to make it stick.

My best example?  I created the equivalent (to the level possible with
technology at that time) of Google Hangouts -- in 1998 at AOL, totally
skunkworks between me and my client-side dev buddy.  Had 25K beta
users.  Was mentioned in the yearly report.  And then they let it die
because they were afraid.  Literally.  I have captures of live "Instant
Images" images of Barry Appelman, my son, and girlfriend from that era.
 Thanks Rohit, for recycling some of my (very) old ideas.  ;-)  I also
tried to get them to do the equivalent of Meetup.com, and more.  Too
bad the people I hooked up with to do startups in that era were bad.
And timing was poor.  No matter, lots of lessons learned.

Stephen