[FoRK] 20 Signs That The Culture Of Government Dependence Has Gotten Completely And Totally Out Of Control

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Dec 7 09:40:48 PST 2011

Are you using a mini-constitution on a cereal box or something?

Just the first thing you run across when reading the real constitution that covers just about everything relevant is in Section 8:
"and provide for the ... general Welfare of the United States" seems to cover "mommy and daddy" pretty well.  You are confusing
powers given to Congress with the Bill of Rights when you refer to the restriction that the government can only do what is permitted
by the constitution.  The US Government can do anything required to individuals when accomplishing an allowed goal except infringe
on declared rights.  The rights are broad, but allow for any action that doesn't infringe upon them if the government is doing it
for a valid purpose.

The other clause that is stretched to cover just about everything is the one that empowers control of Interstate Commerce.

To put it more succinctly:
The US government can do anything reasonably derived from the sometimes general purposes and powers specified in the constitution,
except infringe upon individual's rights as specified in the Bill of Rights.

In this particular case, the responsibility to and rights of the children rule everything about the situation.  You could argue that
the woman and the fathers should be punished for putting them in a precarious position or costing the state, and they probably
should be taken away from her.  If you look at it purely economically, this would be the right thing to do to prevent various
semi-predictable issues with those children as adults.

> *Section. 8.*
>
> The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common
> Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
>
> To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;
>
> To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
>
> To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
>
> To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
>
> To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;
>
> To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
>
> To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to
> their respective Writings and Discoveries;
>
> To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;
>
> To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;
>
> To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
>
> To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
>
> To provide and maintain a Navy;
>
> To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
>
> To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
>
> To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the
> Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training
> the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
>
> To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession
> of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like
> Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of
> Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And
>
> To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested
> by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

sdw

--
Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX