[FoRK] Disruptions: Fliers Must Turn Off Devices, but It's Not Clear Why

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:17:27 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> In my days, we used to have to run a cable across the aisle.

Wire? WIRE!?!? Well didn't the sun shine out of your nethers. In my
day we would have to haul first gen pdps on the plane..uphill both
ways, set up terminals and use semaphore flags to send the bits to
each terminal because the flight attendants would not let us run
cable.  We used the gandalf boxes as seat cushions. If we missed any
packets or dropped below 300baud our father would come over and smash
our heads in with the large metal encased slip sticks.

Wires indeed.

-tom(we used old chewing gum wrappers and bits of street sweepers
bristles to make our own core)higgins.

:)-