[FoRK] A run on death....

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Dec 17 10:35:13 PST 2011

On 12/17/11 10:01 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> On Fri Dec 16 11:05:35 2011, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 01:01:30PM -0500, geege schuman wrote:
>>> <Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter described the writer as someone "of
>>> ferocious intellect, who was as vibrant on the page as he was at the bar".
>>>
>>> "Those who read him felt they knew him, and those who knew him were
>>> profoundly fortunate souls.">
>>> Yep.
>>
>> I'm sure quite a few million Iraqis disagree.

Ah:
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/12/16/jonathan-kay-on-christopher-hitchens-remembering-the-greatest-columnist-and-essayist-in-the-english-speaking-world/
> *British-born journalist and atheist intellectual Christopher Hitchens, who made the United States his home and backed the
> 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, died on Thursday at the age of 62.*

I'm sure there are plenty of Iraqis who are glad that something happened, although unhappy it cost so many lives.  And they will
feel free to be indignant, demonize the US or whoever, etc.  I doubt all Iraqis would trade back the situation if they could.

I wouldn't have done it, and it is very bad that it was authorized relative to lies, and it didn't turn out that great.
However, it is possible it may have been a turning point in melting the medieval-like mindset in the region.  I'm sure a lot of
European colonization was pretty awful, but most of the places that were colonized are far better off than those not
successfully overrun.  Not necessarily justified, but better to be a civilized world than not.

He's somewhat wrong on at least one other thing.  The one I noticed is comparing circumcision to female genital mutilation.  The
latter is horrible while the former, while the former, while it shouldn't be forced by religion and perhaps has some negative
aspects, has been shown (in so far apparently unbiased studies) to be a medical / health win.  He is right that doing something
out of superstition is not right.  But it's easy to see that some things have practical net value, or did, and were given
religious dressing to perpetuate.