[FoRK] Radical Honesty

John D. Mitchell jdmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:30:52 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 08:12 , Bill Kearney wrote:
[...]
> How about just plain old honesty?  Without all the bullshit?

Indeed.

Though I think that there's some valid distinctions that I distinguish by using "true" vs. "honest". E.g. being an asshole by telling someone "your fat" may well be perfectly honest but saying "I'm worried about you" is generally more true. Of course, a key facet in all this (whatever terminology one might use) is that this really comes down to intent. Being "brutally" honest with someone doesn't engender (the desire for) resolution and does indeed feed the narcissism (both individually and socially).

John