[FoRK] Big Data

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Jan 30 11:57:42 PST 2012

Funny you should mention this. I was talking to a friend of mine on
the phone as this email came in. In some respects (from what I
understand thus far) Big Data appears to be Cloud 2.0. Or if Cloud v1
was about applications, then Cloud v2 is about data, metadata and
analytics. So I don't think "Big Data" is replacing "Cloud" as a term
- I think people are realizing that in order to deal with all the
massive amounts of data that's been being produced over the years they
may need to re-visualize the mainframe and enterprise environments
into something vaguely cloud-seeming that finally makes use of the
Semantic Web and heavy analytics in order to get the most out of the
data that they haven't been before.

But for christs sake - I feel like I'm back in the early aughts all
over again. The Semantic Web Initiative will celebrate 10 years this
year, yes?