[FoRK] Big Data

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Jan 30 12:30:25 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Bergmann Frank <fraber at fraber.de> wrote:
> The suits in my MBA class predicted the advent of
> "big data" already around 2003. Financial industry
> (fraud detection, who needs a credit?), retail
> (what sells best in this market?) and Web shops
> (this book will also interest you!) are pioneers,
> but maybe we'll get a broader adoption now.

Well, when ArcSight as a SIEM had finally realized they had to school their
buyers on how to use their own product and took over the lead in the
marketplace going IPO, they started to realize that their offering could be
used to correlate financial transactions to detect financial fraud and not
just security events (thank you In-Q-Tel investment). I think "big data"
had already been an issue in InfoSec and Fraud Detection, it was just
finding the right tools.

> Funny, even Oracle packs the open-source Hadoop into
> it's "private cloud" devices. So the hype may die
> soon, because there's not much money in it...

Since when has open source and "free" meant people will build it
themselves? ;)

Apparently it's just proliferating capabilities and means new companies and
more jobs:

"Mass. Technology Leadership Council Report Predicts Massachusetts
to Become World Leader for "Big Data"
Council identifies 100+ Companies and 70,000 Jobs
Big Data is exploding! In Massachusetts, we have Big Data in our DNA. We
have a powerful data past and a bright future ahead. In fact, we are poised
to lead the world in this space. Big Data could represent as many as
120,000 jobs in the Commonwealth over the next decade."
Free Report: http://bit.ly/BigDataMA [PDF]