[FoRK] Ubuntu on Android

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Feb 21 15:43:47 PST 2012

Ken Meltsner wrote on 2/21/2012 11:56 AM:
> Never quite sure that the "more power than a<pick your year>  desktop
> computer" works for most people since they want as much as power as their
> current desktop or at the very least as much power as their previous
> desktop.

Desktop chips stopped getting faster.

Intel is about to roll out new chips and make a huge deal about the few
percent performance increase, well under 10% for real apps. Nothing
about that validates upgrades anymore. Meanwhile mobile chips are much
more than doubling every year, and already have powerful CPUs and great
gaming on pixels too small to see - more than an HDTV on the iPad 3.
Single cores are not getting faster, and Intel is still out begging
people to come up with some use, ANY use for a 2nd core while the
hardware guys are knocking out 16 cores.

The desktop is dead, reduced to a luxury good where prices are actually
going UP. The notebook is going to the ultra-portable/MacBook Air style
system - which is just a tablet with a keyboard. But that's all you need
if you're mobile.

We have reached "enough", and that's a very dangerous thing. Enough will
kill any profit margin it touches.

Why in my day... a computer cost more than a family going out to a movie...

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/