[FoRK] Ubuntu on Android

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Feb 21 15:48:31 PST 2012

On 2/21/12 2:53 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> I understand the motivation. Even my single core HP Pre3 (webOS) has enough processing power for my most common (rather trivial) "desktop" needs when I'm away from my desktop. Especially if it's Linux for the "desktop" (the kernel is Linux already). It runs at 1.2GHz and can safely be overclocked to 1.6GHz.
>
> But the screen is just w-a-y too small to be useful. It's size is marginal at best for even the native "mobile" apps like email and browser use. Even when accessing the mobile version of web sites.

Atrix style devices dock with a laptop-like keyboard/screen/battery/IO doc.  Nearly all Android devices have full HD video out now.
And they are about to have USB host support, which gives easy access to USB->HDMI/VGA.

The Ipad 3 resolution is rumored to be 2048x1536.  So other tablets will have that in a year or less.

Resolution is only a temporary problem.  Very temporary compared to last year.  Were it not too geeky, we'd have goggle mounts for
cell phones as their resolution could easily be pushed up now, requiring only optics to provide an HD monitor-like performance.

It is likely that we'll go toward proximity video transmission / input device activation, Wifi or similar.  Sit at your desk, and
your keyboard / mouse / monitor become active for the phone in your pocket, purse, etc.  The device may charge with chair /
desk-area induction.  That would work perfectly for vehicles also, probably a driver for it.

Stephen

> I've played with a 7" tablet and it might do in a pinch.  My 8.9" netbook is almost big enough.  My 10" HP Touchpad tablet is really the smallest screen I would consider truly useful as a temporary "desktop" substitute.
>
>             ...ken...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer