[FoRK] Ubuntu on Android

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Wed Feb 22 07:42:53 PST 2012

On 2/22/2012 2:24 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> The clock stopped doubling a long while ago, but the efficiency/Joule (Koomey's law)
> is still on a linear semi-log
>
> http://postbiota.org/pipermail/info/2012-January/004164.html
>
> I expect Moore to go flat for a while by around 2020, and only
> pick up with true 3D integration (requiring doubling the number
> of layers with each generation to keep on track).

Hmmm, my GTX295 drew max 289 watts; my GTX560ti448 draws 210 watts, so I
bought two of them.

That's 45% more use of power for 20% gain in processing.  I'd say my
efficiency curve is definitely less than flat.

Maybe mobile is a little better.

1 core x Tegra @300Mhz pulls 2 watts
2 cores x Tegra2 @600Mhz pulls 3 watts
4 cores x Tegra3 @1.3Ghz pulls 2.5 watts

This looks a little better for mobile, but....

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2009/07/extrapolating.png

Greg