[FoRK] The Internet Is a Major Driver of the Growth of Cognitive Inequality

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Feb 27 13:29:13 PST 2012

The only people that notice or care about a rising tide are the ones
with oceanfront property or boats. I believe we call them "the 1%" these
days.

The majority of the rest don't have clean drinking water, or electricity
and couldn't care less about the rising tide. And if they didn't put
iPhones together so cheaply, the 1% would probably have found some way
to turn them into food for pets by now.

Stephen Williams wrote on 2/27/2012 12:33 PM:
> Lol. No, not really. More like "a rising tide invents planes, rockets,
> robotic factories, remote virtual telepresence / teleoperation,
> surpluses in most things, and all manner of enhancements that myopic
> fisherman do not dream". Most politicians, and most people in general,
> are myopic fishermen.
>
> Let's examine PreInternet and Internet societies / world. Pre-ipod/smart
> phone/3G/4G and now. Pre-cell phone and now.
> It's stupid that we haven't improved house building much. That we
> haven't fixed poverty, here or elsewhere. That so many people are
> ignorant and non-functional. That healthcare is unavailable and
> overpriced. (Some of it has to be expensive, but not most of it.)
>
> We spend a lot of resources on many, many people in jail, all wasted
> resources and miserable people.
>
> sdw
>
> On 2/27/12 12:12 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>> Wait, did you just paraphrase "a rising tide lifts all boats"?
>>
>> On 2/27/2012 12:06 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> Many people don't learn the right meta-knowledge, or learn
>>> anti-patterns, both which prevent them from bootstrapping into a
>>> virtuous cycle.
>>>
>>> This happens for knowledge in general, benefiting from the Internet, and
>>> economically. Because of the fortunate genesis plus thoughtful guidance
>>> of enlightened souls, the Internet as a whole tries pretty hard to help
>>> people with this. Economically, you can break out with major effort, but
>>> many doers should be doing more to help others. While there are a few
>>> short-term ways that things can be competitive in fixed opportunity
>>> situations, overall more competent people grows the pie. The world, and
>>> the world of possibilities, is elastic.
>>>
>>> sdw

Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/