[FoRK] The Internet Is a Major Driver of the Growth of Cognitive Inequality

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Feb 27 14:37:21 PST 2012

On 2/27/12 1:29 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> The only people that notice or care about a rising tide are the ones with oceanfront property or boats. I believe we call them
> "the 1%" these days.
>
> The majority of the rest don't have clean drinking water, or electricity and couldn't care less about the rising tide. And if they
> didn't put iPhones together so cheaply, the 1% would probably have found some way to turn them into food for pets by now.

True in some ways, but most have benefited from additional knowledge, tech, and market efficiency.
If you have a little knowledge, you can do well in certain aspects.  You can get a new IPod Touch for $150 or so, use free Internet
services, and start learning and even working.

Beyond that, if we do the right things, everyone will benefit in more general ways.  There are both low tech and high tech ways this
should happen.

(However, I detest the baby Internet available in many places, like certain libraries, all because someone some where might view
porn.  While in principle I might not mind filtering most of the time, making it a pain or impossible to connect any device is just
plain wrong.  They shouldn't be able to call it Internet service.)

sdw