[FoRK] Democracy is for Brights

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:52:02 PST 2012

On 3/4/12 4:43 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> Nagel concluded that democracies rarely or never elect the best leaders. Their advantage over dictatorships or otherforms of government is merely that
> they "effectively prevent lower-than-average candidates from becoming leaders."

that democracy merely "effectively prevents lower-than-average candidates from becoming leaders."?

This conclusion is THE essential take-away message and one that I hope
'Brights' would have figured out long ago (I've been here 30 years,
welcome to the monkey house :-)

Finely tuned systems (in whatever field of endeavor) are inherently
fragile.  I personally prefer political systems that are robust and not
particularly efficient vs those that are (or have the potential to be)
highly efficient yet prone to break down with catastrophic results.

On a related note... I predict the PRC will eventually move to a
'democracy lite' ... where members of the CCP are allowed to vote on
party leadership but the general public has no or limited input.  Next
prediction... US will (has?) move into effectively the same
configuration (substitute the CCP for Corporate Interests).

Bill