[FoRK] [Beowulf] seamicro fabric?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Mar 5 11:31:37 PST 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 05:23:02AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> From: Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca>
>
> Has anyone found an informative description of the Seamicro fabric?

I hope Mark has repeated his search; http://google.com?q=anil+rao+fabric
and http://google.com?q=seamicro+interconnect turn up lots of info.

A 2011 PDF[1] at Seamicro sez, "It is a three-dimensional torus, with both
path redundancy and diversity. The fabric is FLIT-based and wormhole-
routed, with integrated virtual-channel technology to manage congestion,
and has a throughput of 1.2 Terabits/sec."

Looks like proc boards use PCIe interconnects, like the old cPCI blades.

The more interesting bit (to me) is the possibility raised in an older
article[2] that Rao and Lauterbach are thinking of turning their
interconnect into a datacenter-level fabric.  Infiniband II, anyone?

Remembering the days of physically separate frontend and I/O processors,
  Aaron

[1] http://www.seamicro.com/sites/default/files/TO1_SM10000_Technology_Overview.pdf
[2] http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/01/26/seamicro-more-than-just-low-power-servers/