[FoRK] Democracy is for Brights

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Mon Mar 5 11:37:03 PST 2012

You guys are silly.  News is visceral.  In fact, I think [The stupid
startup idea of the day should be] a news organization that deals solely
in photographic journalism with 40 character captions would be a great
idea.  Sort of like Twitter crossed with Pinterest crossed with
Breitbart's Big branding.

Those who don't know history are condemned to repeat it.  Editorial
journalism has been in vogue the past decade.  That doesn't mean past,
present, and future will always be editorial.

In fact, the US went through a period in the early 1900s of
non-objective, advocacy journalism[1][2] (sometimes also known as coffee
house journalism and in it's latest iteration, citizen journalism).
It's no surprise that journalism is going through the same type of
cycle--*and* that it's commercially successful.

Greg

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocacy_journalism
[2] http://tinyurl.com/advocacyjournalism