[FoRK] overhead of RESTful stuff

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 8 04:25:46 PST 2012

There's some enthusiasm for SOA and RESTful stuff at my dayjob lately
(yeah, we're always trailing state of the art by a decade or two),
so I'm worried about overhead. These Java wonks don't have a good
grasp of the entire hardware/network stack, and potential overhead
of calls.

First Java, how much overhead relative to C/C++ are we looking
at? I estimate a factor of 5-10 in terms of hardware budget
(more fat nodes, or many more the leaner nodes we're currently
using). Is this about right or too pessimistic?

I estimate that a lean box will crap out at about ~kHz of RESTful
calls, especially if it's all a big wad of Java oozing behind the
NIC. Is that about right? Linux/Windows differ much here?

In terms of networking, is GBit Ethernet going to become a
bottleneck for building applications from REST interfaces?

Are any of you using REST on InfiniBand or is the idea insane
in general, given the (probably awful) overhead?