[FoRK] costs of computing

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 06:12:05 PST 2012

The trouble with the marketdroids comparison of computational power
alone don't account for throughput.  Sure, once you get something 'on
chip' any given new device might be a lot 'faster'.  But that doesn't
factor how the older high-performance gear was rigged to handle getting
data in and out of it.  I'd daresay current desktops and tablets are
stil woefully behind at actual throughput to support such tasks.  That's
fine, as they're not intended for that purpose.

So, please, spare us spreading the marketing hype.

--Bill