[FoRK] overhead of RESTful stuff

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Mar 8 07:26:01 PST 2012

If you use a compiler like Excelsior Jet, performance is the same.

For REST, most Java stacks are pretty mature.  There are some C++ +
other scripting languages that are straight across functionality
transfers.

Hardware is a commodity, so any hardware costs will more than be made up
for by development and maintenance costs.

Most modern serves have dual or quad GBit ethernet, so a proper network
architecture which takes into account routing front ends and good
balancing using proper net naming and setup shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest bottlenecks for almost 99% of REST based applications will
be disk i/o, memory size, and then cpu.

Greg