[FoRK] overhead of RESTful stuff

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 9 01:09:40 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:50:33AM -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 9:42 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:....
> >

> +1 on all fronts.
>
> The key takeaway is, arguing java vs c++ on hardware costs is a losing
> argument.

We're frequently CPU bound. Some apps could saturate SMP boxes with
hundreds of cores with no problem -- we only don't use them for budget reasons.
Hardware costs are considerable if you're not living heads in the cloud(s),
and you're traditionally operating on a shoestring budget.

> If you need to preserve a capability, ie. you've spent 5+ years building
> up an expertise c++ team and the switching costs to some arbitrary "new
> shiny thing" without proper knowledge as to applicability of such thing,
> then make the capability argument.

Porting of 25+ years of existing working stuff is not an option -- however
I can see how there will be more Java in newer projects. I want to nip in the bud
the anticipable debacle where Java, inappropriate use of REST and poor programming
skills meet very weak hardware base, and poor awareness of network architecture.

> An organizational capability is a very valuable thing.  Replacing one
> with another shouldn't be taken lightly.

Sure thing.