[FoRK] overhead of RESTful stuff

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Mar 9 08:47:09 PST 2012

On 3/9/12 1:03 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:42:11AM -0800, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> Although used incorrectly a lot of the time, lightweight message queue
>> components can drastically improve efficiency, scalability, resilience,
>> flexibility, and development evolution.  One of the best overall
>> architectures is to have a high performance web server (nginx is one of
>> the most popular) that connects directly with very efficient message
>> queues to application engines, distributed and multiplexed as necessary.
> I don't see how nginx/memcached can be integrated into an increasingly
> Java-contaminated environment with plenty of C/C++ components running
> on Windows and Linux back end.

nginx is just a very efficient web server, for CPU, memory, etc.
memcached is a completely generic cache and can be, and is used by all languages and frameworks.  Think of it as a scalable,
optionally distributed memoizing system: You can stash things in it by key, all other clients can find the same thing by similar
key construction, and any client can invalidate the data when desired.  The big win for the tech world in general was to realize
that you could speed databases or any operation by just storing some representation of the query and the result, completely
shortcutting potentially involved operations to get that answer.