[FoRK] Overly cautiousness

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 19 13:23:28 PDT 2012

I'm all for safety, especially air safety, but lying, laziness, and fostering ignorance are just going too far.  In many ways,
the FAA seems to have just the regulations it needs, except for electronics on planes.  There, they are batty.

Seems it is now becoming so obvious it will begin to be fixed.

This has definitely been a case where regulation was created in such a way as to make it effectively impractical to work
around.  Practically anything could be imposed with this kind of logic.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/f-a-a-approves-ipads-in-cockpits-but-not-for-passengers/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/its-called-airplane-mode-for-a-reason/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/disruptions-time-to-review-f-a-a-policy-on-gadgets/