[FoRK] Reminder Regarding the Terms of Use of Your IEEE Personal Digital Library Subscription

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 19 15:20:17 PDT 2012

While I understand your goals of limiting abuse and trying to detect when this is a problem, I have a major issue with your article
limits and a minor issue with the IP address limits.

Although I rarely use the library, I sometimes review easily dozens or hundreds of articles in a short time while doing a deep dive
on a subject.  While I often find most of those articles outside of IEEE, the assumptions behind your limits are flawed.  Just last
year, while reviewing all current and past literature on machine vision and related topics, I reviewed something like 500 documents
in a couple weeks.

I typically only hit 2 or 3 IP addresses in a 24 hour period, but 5 is not out of the question.  I often switch between home, 3G and
4G MyFi (separate networks, probably separate IPs), and multiple office networks, with and without proxies and VPN.  With multiple
connections, short DHCP IP address leases, and VPN/proxy use, I could easily hit 10 IP addresses in a day.

If you want to say that going over those limits may cause attention to be paid to investigate possible abuse, that's fine.
Otherwise, the hard limits should be raised significantly.

Thanks,
Stephen

On 3/19/12 3:01 PM, Sari Frances, IEEE wrote:

> **
>
> Dear Valued IEEE Member,
>
> I would like to thank you for being an important part of our organization: an IEEE member and/or society member and a subscriber
> to one of our digital libraries. This is a general reminder to all subscribers that IEEE personal digital libraries are designed
> for your personal research, keeping you up-to-date in your field, and help you develop personal patents; however, organizational
> or shared use is prohibited. Please be assured that this e-mail is not in reference to a current violation of your subscription(s).
>
> Beginning in 2012, the guidelines to help to distinguish misuse of IEEE personal digital libraries, has been updated. Please be
> informed that when accessing your subscription the following terms apply:
>

> *Recommended Use:*
>
>   * Download documents at work for your personal use.
>   * Use the documents downloaded via your subscription for further research, patent development and other functions related to
>     your job responsibilities.
>   * Cite downloaded documents in a research paper or patent you are developing for yourself or your employer.
>   * Print or photocopy downloaded documents for your individual use.
>

> *Prohibited Use:*
>
>   * Sharing your password or online subscription access with others.
>   * Sharing your electronic or printed versions of downloaded documents with others.
>   * Downloading more than 75 articles a week, or 350 a month.
>   * Accessing your digital library from more than five IP (Internet Protocol) addresses in any 24 hour period.
>   * Posting any downloaded documents to an organizational or peer-to-peer web site.
>
> As an IEEE subscriber, you are welcome to use your digital subscription for yourself in your personal and professional activities.
> If your colleagues also require access to IEEE documents, or you need additional IEEE information, then a personal subscription
> may no longer be the best option. Organizational subscriptions are available for shared use. For more information on
> organizational-wide options, please log on to www.ieee.org/digitalsubs
> <http://link.ixs1.net/s/lt?id=43921943&si=7198668902&pc=82001&ei=q2215120&b=y>, or contact mypersonalsub at ieee.org
> <http://link.ixs1.net/s/lt?id=e3921944&si=7198668902&pc=i2002&ei=q2215120&b=y>.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation,
>
> Sari Frances
> Manager of Digital License Compliance
> s.frances at ieee.org <http://link.ixs1.net/s/lt?id=t9102220&si=7198668902&pc=92003&ei=q2215120&b=y>
>
> **
>
> **

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer