[FoRK] Project Glass

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Apr 5 21:29:08 PDT 2012

I actually met Timothy Leary as he travelled Australia promoting Virtual
Reality sometime in the late 80s.

I was working for a computer games company, doing Nintendo games, and
Nintendo had just come out with their Powerglove device and semi VR
goggles. We got roped into "supporting" Tim's vision, which he sold to
wealthy businessmen and thought leaders for $500 a plate.

Somehow I always associated VR with dolphin fuckers and whale assisted
communication enablers for the disabled, because Tim seemed to have an
inordinate number of those people following him around.

Anyway, I got disinvited from the whole shebang, because I was pointing out
how ridiculous the whole concept of virtual reality on 8-bit Nintendo was,
and that we were a generation or two from being able to do this on any
reasonable scale.

Its really a curse, being right.