[FoRK] Project Glass

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Apr 6 09:43:36 PDT 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 08:26:35AM -0700, Gmail wrote:
> > Indeed. VR is dead. AR is really important.
>
> I see no difference between VR and AR conceptually.
> AR is just aligned VR overlay.
>
> > The first AR I saw was in The Terminator. Was it in fiction before then? Is there a inventor?
>
> It's been invented many times. AR has been in use in WWII
> in cockpit head-up and Sutherland definitely did it in 1968
> in the way we understand the term.

Even more so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

See the animated picture on the top. AR can be traced back to around 1900...

My first post here, so hello everybody.

I subscribed out of curiosity. And I was convinced Rohit Khare was a
fictiouous persona invented for the purpose of making this list look more
real. Actually, in those times of omnipotent search engines (that also
serve to show who and when searched what) I was too afraid to ask a
question. However, I browsed some archives, too, and to my surprise there
were posts by Rohit. Wow. He is real.

> It is interesting how little fundamental novelty we see in
> IT today. What would you consider genuine innovations of
> the last two decades?

Um, I donnow. One click shopphing? Two way (double linked) lists? It was
all patented not very long ago, if memory serves, so it must have been
invented recently, after Knuth or someone wrote about it.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola