[FoRK] Project Glass

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:30:34 PDT 2012

> I see no difference between VR and AR conceptually.

You can't be serious.  They're, literally, worlds apart.  VR is great
but hardly holds enough appeal as it requires stopping participation in
the 'real world' for it's immersive experience.  Yes, for some this is a
desired effect.  AR, on the other hand, plays along with the wearer in
the larger context of the real world and all of it's non-automated
experiences.

> AR is just aligned VR overlay.

No. With VR someone else has to set up the world, with AR you just play
along with the existing one, without having to do all the ground work.
Dead spots with no data in VR pretty much kill the whole experience.
Meanwhile the real world fills in the gaps, making for a lot less work
to have AR be perceived as useful.

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to start overlaying VR onto the
real world, as the opposite has gone nowhere (pun intended).  Games
played in the context of AR I'd daresay would hold a LOT more interest
to a MUCH larger audience than cosplay geeks masturbating in Second
Life.  Certainly a market with more monetizing potential.

> It is interesting how little fundamental novelty we see in
> IT today. What would you consider genuine innovations of
> the last two decades?

A move toward always-available and inexpensive to access information is
certainly a leap in implementation, if built upon innovations beforee.
But it's hard to be dismissive of the implementation just because the
idea isn't entirely 'new'.  Lots of things were 'thought about' in a
technical sense but went nowhere without the infrastructure and other
actors covering the costs.

-Bill