[FoRK] Project Glass

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:46:29 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Bill Kearney <wkearney99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree, of course.  I find it's a much more interesting study to examine
> what factors led to the 'un-predicted' coming into being.  Lots more than
> what has stopped (or delayed) those presumed to be coming along.

Compare predictions of AR and VR, both of which were predicted. It
turned out that VR is far less useful than AR.

Nostradamus could have known this, however that would have required
enormous amounts of experimentation to establish the rules of
interaction design/ HCI/ usability.

Consider the antikythera mechanism, which shows that automated
computation was envisioned long before it was widely used. It shows
that computers were predicted by the first century BC, yet two
thousand years had to pass before the prediction matured to reality. I
don't think computers really could have been built at any time in the
middle. I think that all that history was necessary.