[FoRK] Project Glass

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 6 11:49:07 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:25:06AM -0600, Tom Higgins wrote:

> I would love for the device to have the option of offloading the heavy
> lifting and data connectivity to my trusty and already established
> *droid devices. Sure I can see it needing to be a stand alone but I

You don't have problems with lugging extra batteries around?
I tried it with a hip belt for a while when debugging a biotelemetry
app, but the nerd factor was too high (though 3 days before recharging
did have a ring to it).

> would find it a waste of computational horsepower to ignore the
> compatible powerhouse in my pocket.  "Is that a distrusted
> computational/data node in your pocket?" ....why yes....yes it is. Tap
> that potential.

Right now the problem is somewhat spotty 3G and generally congested
urban 2G/3G/4G wireless. It would be nice to run OpenCroquet/OpenQwaq,
since it's based on determistic computation, and only synchronizes diffs.
That should minimize the glitches in the Matrix.

> I have been having a hoot/riproar/laugh at all the fanboi naysaying on
> the idea of the device..or is it that its that the device is not being

The promo video is exceedingly obnoxious for Ye Olde Fartes.
I see many of my age cohorts to have issues with accepting basic
no-brainers like eBooks, always-on mobile Internet and now the
extra disruptiveness of Google looking over your shoulder all
the time.

I must admit the only way I can make the thing work for me is
kicking out teh old Goog a swiftly as possible. The only
cloud I trust is my own.

> introduced by the fanbois clerics? You can tell the cultists are
> grasping when the brunt of their naysaying boils down to "well it
> looks icky".... I guess we will have to wait till Apple "magicaly"

It looks like the user is a major douche, but that's it.

> invents the industry with its soon to be announced fiesta condom
> colored iGlasses ...to be followed by Retroactive Patent Claims(tm)
> and media white washing.
>
> Oh tech industry, you make me happy to be a stay at home dad.

P.S. I'm told old age cantankerousness is a sign of intelligence.

P.P.S. It'd better be true, goddamit.