[FoRK] Project Glass

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:20:57 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 3:21 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Eugen Leitl<eugen at leitl.org>  wrote:
>> You don't have problems with lugging extra batteries around?

If the device doesn't have a screen backlight that cuts down on power
consumption, quite a lot.

> In recent years I have shifted my way of mobility. A decade or so back
> Before moving from Portland OR to the Denver CO Area this summer I did
> not see the problem of 3G dropouts. Here in CO though it is a such a
> screwed up situation. Some areas are fine, some are gulags of
> deadness...often the boundry between the two is a block.

I get around this kind of nonsense by putting a higher powered setup,
with a better antenna, in the vehicle.  In my case, that's a boat out on
the Chesapeake.  Then just hit it locally via Wifi.  I believe there are
similar setups for cars now too.  I had to roll my own 3 years ago when
I got it set up.

> Decentralized matrices with multiple vectors of interconectedness
> makes much more sense in real world application than some walled
> garden single source iCloudyness. Local is still a playa.

+1

> After a long parade of naked emperors you
> might start wondering if there is something better to do with your
> time:)-

Amen to that.  Nowadays I start by assuming the product won't suit my
needs and beat the hell out of it trying to prove myself wrong.  Hit all
the known incompatibility/pressure points.  All too often my assumptions
are right.

-Bill