[FoRK] Why has the Internet changed so little?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Apr 7 18:06:59 PDT 2012

Come on...  Everything _has_ changed.  The economics-is-everything viewpoint is very tiresome.  If it doesn't involve dominating
financial numbers, it doesn't exist to these guys.  We knew the Internet was going to be big for years or decades before these
guys because they couldn't see the numbers.  It doesn't matter much that a lot of the status quo has continued.  If it didn't
we'd have a disaster.  What matters is how people experience the world, each other, communication, entertainment, making and
using relationships, sex, fashion, knowledge availability, and how quickly things evolve with what kind of freedom.  Beyond the
ho-hum details of living and basic industry, everything has changed.

People have such short, shallow, and filtered memories it is a wonder they notice anything at all.

Stephen