[FoRK] Why has the Internet changed so little?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Apr 8 14:36:10 PDT 2012

On Sat Apr  7 20:40:25 2012, Tom Higgins wrote:
> Look at how Kickstarter has moved the fulcrum of money raising for
> certain projects. On the top end you have efforts like Wasteland 2
> which has raised over 2mil in pledges
> (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2) or the just
> announced Yogs Adventure game which has raised 113K in 24 hours
> (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures)...and
> yea I have pledged to both. I have done a few Kickstarters and shows
> me in real terms how decentralization should work.

That kind of thing is exactly my point, plus: We can all feel how
technology, security, general knowledge / awareness / attitudes have
continued to mature, and how creative people are able to be.  Plus,
we're quickly shredding the big-company oligopoly on innovation, paths
to market, and control of revenue, generally to the benefit of
customers.  And often using big-company tools and services to compete
with them without massive inequity, which is awesome.  Regardless of
whether there have been comprehensive sea changes yet, we are becoming
supercharged with potential for changes that make sense (i.e. they are
highly competitive with the status quo).

As an added bonus, we no longer have to hear from Microsoft about how
uncapitalistic and un-American open source, open standards, Linux,
Java, et al are.  ;-)  We can comfortably bask in the knowledge that
this is not a Microsoft (or IBM or government)-designed world.  We
really should catalog the "founding fathers of the modern
online-enabled world" in some kind of priority and chronological order.
 The full set has a very long tail of course as we all did what we
could, but it would be nice to put things in perspective in a coherent
way before it is actually ancient history.  In some ways, this history
is more important and more useful than a lot of more traditional
history.  Tech History 101.

Similarly, the groups and companies that had the right ideas at the
right time would be interesting to map.  Hotmail (which Microsoft
wisely snapped up), Paypal, etc.  It would be instructive to a lot of
people to see how it took many companies and iterations to get
something right before it really took off (Compuserve CB
Simulator->...->Buddylist->Jabber->...->Meebo/Skype/Twitter/FB
Chat/Google Hangouts).

sdw