[FoRK] World stocks dive on Greece turmoil

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed May 16 17:20:50 PDT 2012

Thanks Owen.  But the same thing applies to all of the countries on the brink.  The austerity measures will kill their economies as surely as continuing on their present paths.  The only question in all cases is which option will kill them quicker.

It could be - and has been - argued that trying to remain in the EU and accepting the bailouts with their onerous austerity measures is a more certain death sentence than going their own way.

And that begs the question of whether the EU might not be much better off with a cull.  Or might even be better off not existing.

I (fortunately) am not enough of an economist to judge the latter.

Would it be fair to guess that arbitrage and emotion are at the core of the current stock market silliness, rather than anything to do with economic realities?

          ...ken...