[FoRK] The upside of global warming and ocean level rise

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Fri May 18 15:26:20 PDT 2012

> Snakes can't swim, right?  ... please tell me they can't.

You mean, can they swim all around Florida -- like this?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/12/2586369/snakes-alive-exotic-pythons-can.html

    "It was hoped that saltwater would naturally hinder
    pythons' ability to expand their range beyond the
    Everglades," said lead researcher Kristen Hart, a
    USGS ecologist. "Unfortunately, our results suggest
    saltwater alone cannot act as a reliable barrier to
    the Everglades python population."

Read more here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/12/2586369/snakes-alive-exotic-pythons-can.html#storylink=cpy

In fact, all snakes ~can~ swim, and most do so routinely.

Also, many are remarkably good at climbing trees.  Enjoy.

GS