[FoRK] <nettime> Privacy, Moglen, @ioerror, #rp12

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sun May 20 09:00:58 PDT 2012

I was thinking about this a little further.

If we ignore desktops for the time being, and think primarily about
handhelds, what if the always-on cloud-app-space was just
a virtualised instance of your handheld OS that is bonded to your actual
handheld OS. Think about being able to fire up a process, and decide
whether it will exist on the handheld or in the cloud.

You would install an app on to your handheld's 'desktop', and each app
would consist of a hand-side component and/or an always-on cloud-side
component.

Your distributed facebook-like social agent would have a heavier weight
cloud-side component, responsible for
storing/gathering/disseminating/curating your social connections. In this
case, the cloud-side component would essentially be a webserver and
database.

Now, there is no particular reason why the cloud-side environment should
have the same OS as the hand-side environment, except that it simplifies
programming issues, and provides a relatively seamless transition from
hand-side to cloud-side.